In order to apply for a course, you must have the following:
- A. Original Language Certificate
- B. Photo Identification & Residence Verification
Further details below:
A. Language Assessment/Certification
1. Candidates from the following countries whose first language is English or Irish are exempt from the language proficiency requirements set out in this section:
Ireland, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United States
of America, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados,
Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Federated States of Micronesia,
Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Monserrat, Seychelles, St. Kitts-Nevis, St.
Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and
Caicos Islands, British Virgin Islands, U.S. Territories including American
Samoa, Guam, Marshall Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, Palau, Virgin
Islands and Puerto Rico.
2. Candidates from outside Ireland shall produce their passport to confirm
their country of origin. Such candidates may be required to demonstrate
that their first language is English or Irish.
3. A candidate whose first language is not English and/or Irish and who
comes from a country listed above shall be required to meet the
4. The Training Provider cannot accept a candidate for a course until they are
satisfied that the candidate is sufficiently competent in the use of the English and/or Irish language in accordance with the criteria outlined below.
5. Competence in the use of the English and/or Irish language shall be
verified by the candidate providing evidence that their language proficiency
is equivalent to or greater than level B1 in English and/or Irish in the
Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
6. Only those language tests approved by the Private Security Authority (PSA) shall be accepted as evidence of language proficiency. Evidence of proficiency shall be by means of an original certificate from the awarding body.
List of language tests approved by the PSA together with the minimum grade requirement
Information on the above language tests can be found as follows:
Galway Language Schools will also be able to provide information
Atlantic Language School www.atlanticlanguage.com 091 566 053
Bridge Mills Galway Language Centre www.galwaylanguage.com Phone 091 566 468
Galway Cultural Institute www.gci.ie 091 863 100
B. IDENTITY VERIFICATION
7. On registering for a Security Course candidates must have 1 form of photo identification and 1 form of residence verification from the following
- Valid Passport
- Current Driving Lisence
- Current PSA Lisence Card
- Garda Age Card
- Department of Social Protection Card
- Utility Bill (issued within previous six months)
- Bank Statement (issued within previous six months)
- Document issued by a Government Department/Agency that shows
candidates address (issued within previous 12 months)
- Letter from a PSA Licensed Contractor that shows candidates
address (issued within previous month)
8. Only candidates whose identity has been verified and who have satisfied the language assessment requirements shall be permitted to undertake the assessment.